Paul Graham on Python hackers

Kirk Job-Sluder kirk at eyegor.jobsluder.net
Wed Aug 11 16:02:04 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-10, Bryan Olson <bryanjugglercryptographer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> beliavsky at aol.com wrote:
>> I don't know enough about functional programming (FP) to argue. David
>> Mertz wrote some articles on FP in Python -- see
>> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-prog.html .
>
> If you've never looked at a real FP language, I recommend it.
> Mertz is trying to convey the flavor of functional programming
> to people who know Python.  He doesn't suggest writing non-
> trivial programs that way.  He notes at the end, "I've found it
> much easier to get a grasp of functional programming in the
> language Haskell than in Lisp/Scheme."

Ohh, just for the sake of comparison, I spent about 5 hours yesterday
digging around in Haskell, frequently described as one of the more pure
functional languages.

Wow.  Now that is different.  I don't know if I'll ever use it because
much of what I do involves gluing other programs together and I couldn't
get an external command working in Haskell.  But very different.