How do you feel ?

Howard Stearns howard.stearns at charter.net
Fri Aug 6 20:18:57 EDT 2004

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Lisp programmer by history, but not for pay these
days. I'm trying Python for a nights-and-weekends project. And every time
I use it, I tell my wife (a technically savy non-programmer) that "hey,
this Python stuff really isn't bad. It's.... well..., pretty good."

Of course, the first thing I did was re-implement generic functions.  But
other than that, I'm must using the libraries. They're good. I'm having
fun again!

The one thing I've found annoying is that I haven't yet discovered how to
do whatever I want in lambda expressions. I have top-level assignments
where I'd like create a function to use as the the value being assigned. I
don't know how to define a named function in a top-level assignment, and a
lambda won't allow me to use 'try' and other statements -- just
expressions. Or am I looking at things wrong?