favorite python web development tool?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Aug 19 05:23:17 EDT 2004

mike <ng01.spamguard at icewater.org> wrote in message news:<10i4nttktcvltdd at corp.supernews.com>...
> hi all -
>

> i'm fairly new to python, coming from a java servlet / velocity template
> background.  i'm looking for a good python web development tool, and
> hope to find some suggestions here.

Well, <insert screaming advocacy here>. Alternatively, you could take
a look at the WebProgramming section [1] of the PythonInfo Wiki [2].
And if other respondents contributed their opinions to that resource,
we wouldn't necessarily have the situation where people regard that
resource as confusing whilst giving a parade of the frameworks every
time someone asks how to do CGI with Python.

> given my background, webware+cheetah feels comfortingly familiar, and
> i'm leaning toward it.  before i dive in, though, i'm wondering what you
> experienced users think about it, compared to the other tools that are
> out there.  eg, does the python environment have strengths that are
> better exploited with something other than a servlet-like model?

I've heard that Webware plus Cheetah is a fairly equivalent
combination to Java Servlet API plus Velocity, at least in style. I
think it's widely accepted that if you're doing content management,
you might be better served with something like Zope or a derivative
such as Plone.

If you look at the OriginalWebProgrammingClassification [3] on the
Wiki, you'll get a better impression of what is available, in my
opinion. That classification, combined with the
PresentationTechnologies [4] page (now mysteriously delinked in some
"tidying up" activity), is more concise and doesn't try and blind you
with pseudo-science in the way that the main classification does:
"Variable Insertion-Replacement Templating Applications
(Pre-processors)" anyone?

Paul

[1] http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/WebProgramming
[2] http://www.python.org/moin/FrontPage