Decorators: an outsider's perspective

Chas Emerick cemerick at snowtide.com
Sat Aug 14 01:05:48 EDT 2004

I thought I'd finally break my lurker status here by passing along a
comment I made in connection with this weblog post
<http://zephyrfalcon.org/weblog2/arch_e10_00610.html#e610>, one of many
deriding the controversial feature of @decorators.  Feel free to flame
away, especially if the regulars here think I'm beating a dead horse
:-):

By no means am I an expert in Python (I get paid for writing Java,
although my hobby projects have been in Lisp over the past few years),
but this @decorator flap has made no sense to me at all.

The best argument against the new syntax is that it will impede noobs
(like myself, I suppose) from picking up the language. I think nothing
could be further from the truth, for one reason: action-at-a-distance
is *always* bad.

The first time I saw this, I almost fell out of my chair:

def blah (args):
....[insert 50/100/200 lines here]
blah = staticmethod(blah)

That's BAD. That, my friends, is tough to wrap one's mind around, for
the exact reason that, unless one reads through an entire module, the
critical staticmethod call might not even be seen. That's a pretty
devestating blow to the ability of a noob (or hell, anyone for that
matter) to learn what's going on in some code.

So, when I see:

@staticmethod
def blah (args):
....[insert 100 lines]

I say, YES! Sure, decorators can get complicated, as exemplified by
some of the examples provided in the post. However, just because
something is complicated, or even not the greatest approach in some
cases, doesn't invalidate it. Take recursion: a concept and practice
that noobs trip over almost as a rule, and an approach that is
constantly abused and overused in inappropriate situations. However,
that surely doesn't mean that recursion should be disallowed, or
scorned even. It means it should be respected, taught well, and used
when appropriate. Decorators surely fall into the same category.

Regards,

Chas Emerick