Idle problem

Ben McGinnes benm at cyber.com.au
Thu Aug 26 02:34:33 EDT 2004

Brent W. Hughes(brent.hughes at comcast.net)@Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:37:23AM +0000:
> Sometimes when I try to start up idle.py (by double-clicking on the icon), I
> get the message:
> Python subprocess socket error: Connection refused, retrying....
> It repeats the message a couple of times and then prints:
> Connection to Idle failed, exiting.

I just fired up Idle and it displayed the following message:

    Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE
    makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback
    interface.  This connection is not visible on any external
    interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet.

Which means you could be running some firewall software locally which
is not allowing Idle to open the sockets it requires.  You should
change this to allow all connections on the loopback.

Regards,
Ben