Is python ircbot.py slow?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Aug 15 04:26:57 EDT 2004

Dfenestr8 wrote:

> I haven't really looked into how they bench mark these things, but as
> far
> as I know, python has always been considered a reasonably fast
> scripting
> language. Even back when the standarad server was a p450 it was
> considered
> fast enough.
>
> Now that most servers are 1.2Ghz +, surely speed isn't even an issue?

Even on an incredibly slow machine, it would be unimportant.  After all,
why would one thing an IRC bot needs speed?  An IRC bot is going to be
tremendously I/O bound, it's barely doing any CPU computations.  Your
friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

--
 __ Erik Max Francis && max at alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM erikmaxfrancis