remaining decorator syntax options

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh at cafepy.com
Wed Aug 11 18:15:28 EDT 2004

Steven Bethard wrote:
> Shalabh Chaturvedi <shalabh at cafepy.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1472.1092171803.5135.python-list at python.org>...
>
>>Btw, I think your summary of the current state is good. However I feel a
>>new keyword has been pretty much ruled out as well.
>

> Can you refer me to some pages that made you feel this way?  GvR said
> that he "won't rule it out just because of the new keyword":
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-August/047001.html
>
> I also haven't seen any arguments against keywords that said anything
> but basically "introducing a new keyword might break existing code".
> Not that this isn't a valid argument, but as Python has gone through a
> similar process recently for 'yield', I'd feel more like keywords were
> ruled out if I heard some other arguments.
>
> Steve

You're right - it hasn't been entirely ruled out. I just got the feeling
reading python-dev that new keywords are shunned unless very convincing
reasons are found. Guido's words, from the post you mention: "this is a
softening of my position on new keywords". So I doubt a keyword will be
picked for decorators, but let's see.

Shalabh