Xah Lee's Unixism

Ian Wilson scobloke2 at infotop.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 15:30:38 EDT 2004

David Schwartz wrote:

> 'unixism' has nothing to do with *using* UNIX.
>  only those people who use UNIXes are affected by 'unixism'

Sorry, I don't see how an activity can be affected by something that has
nothing to do with that activity.

Are you suggesting that Unix users don't have to deal with unixism? If
that were so, why would Xah Lee have such a bee in his bonnet about it? [2]

Xah Lee says "unix should mean unixism, the way things are done in unix
platform" [1]

Xah Lee also says "the unix shells ... is one giant unpurgeable shit
pile arose from ad hoc hacks of unixism." [2]

It seems legit to wonder why he chooses to place his web-pages amongst
shit piles.

[1]

The world unix should mean unixism, that is, the way things are done in
unix platform, their culture, their hacking attitude, their social
attitude, their preferences, their people, their tools, their languages,
their ps grep config make shebang tartall gunzip README manifesto et cetera.

http://www.xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/freebooks.html

[2]

By the way, the unix shells and environment variable and ways, is quite
a fucked up one. It is amazing to see its stupidities alluded as an
advance for some language design argument. The whole morbidity of the
prospect to place an executable script as any program name in any path
with the fucked up ways to search for programs to execute and the fucked
up way to determine whether it is a program by the fucked up permission
bits system is one giant unpurgeable shit pile arose from ad hoc hacks
of unixism.

http://www.xahlee.org/Writ_dir/comp_lang_lisp/124.txt

All hail!