Python indentation deters newbies?

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 22:53:40 EDT 2004

I'm a Perl programmer at heart - well that and PHP, plus the odd
dabbling in C/C++/C# etc.

Anyway, the thought of indentation instead of curly braces really put
me off to start with, but I tried it, and as soon as I started to
write larger programs, it became apparent what a good system it was,
plus it forces readable code on you (you wouldn't believe how many PHP
programmers I know who don't indent properly).

I find when using C# that you really need a big monitor/resolution and
an IDE to provide code-folding/split window/brace-matching etc;
otherwise you can't find your way around the source, not so with
Python - you just need a text editor that can do proper tabbing.

Now I write all my desktop apps in Python - I haven't really converted
from Perl/PHP for web stuff yet, as the Python DBI is confusing (or
confused?!) too many libraries, no standard.....