Python secure?

Istvan Albert ialbert at mailblocks.com
Sun Aug 15 22:02:00 EDT 2004

Grant Edwards wrote:

> I've read up a bit, and I looks like I was wrong.  The mere act
> of creating a derived work is an infringement of copyright.
> The derived work doesn't have to be distributed for an
> infringment to have taken place.  Title 17 says

>    (2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

Is a decompiled source code a 'derivate' work?

I always felt that meaning of 'derivative' is creating a piece a work
that is either very similar to or incorporates large sections of
an other piece of work.

The mere fact of using a binary file as the input to a
program does not mean that the output of this program is a
'derivative work' of the binary file.

I think the answer lies not in the copyright law but in
the license that was set by the program owner. If they forbid
decompilation that's their right to do so.

Istvan.