backward compatibility?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Aug 21 23:42:32 EDT 2004

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0408212200050.1131-100000 at kleigh.nl>,
Peter Kleiweg  <in.aqua.scribis at nl.invalid> wrote:

>So how serious are plans to remove things from Python, like lambda and
>map and reduce? I am just starting out with Python and if there is a
>danger that the programs I write today won't work next year, I rather
>invest my time in another language. I might try Ruby, or stick with
>Perl.

It's serious.  OTOH, they'll stay in the language until Python 3.0 comes
out, and there's nobody forcing you to upgrade.  The useful lifespan of
a Python version seems to be about three or four years (my company just
switched from Python 1.5.2 to Python 2.2, so we'll be two full versions
out of date by the end of the year).

"To me vi is Zen.  To use vi is to practice zen.  Every command is a
koan.  Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated.  You
discover truth everytime you use it."  --reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com