How do I get IDLE on Suse Linux 9.x?

Sibylle Koczian Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.de
Tue Aug 10 09:02:06 EDT 2004

michael schrieb:

> Hi.
>
> I am reasonably experienced with Python (and love it!) on Windows. I am a
> programmer that toils in c++ on Win 32 mostly but just to learn more, I am
> playing with Suse 9. Linux.
>
> Of course the first thing I tried to fire up was Python. From the command
> line, I can access Python 2.3 with no problem.
>
> I tried to run / search for IDLE which I thought was a standard install on
> any python installation but it is not present.

Did you check with Yast2 or with the rpm command? If you've got SuSE 9.1
in the professional version I can tell you for sure IDLE is on the CD
but you might not have installed it. It's got its own package. I can't
really think it's missing from 9.0. And with the personal version you
probably wouldn't have Python either (that comes without a C compiler,
even).

I'm not within reach of my Linux box at the moment so I can't tell you
the exact package name or things like that. But I'm a Linux newbie
myself and I found it without problems so it must have been quite easy.

> My question is this: Should I just use a text editor and go without IDLE? Is
> there another IDE standard on Linux? Do I need to download something to get
> IDLE?

Most probably no to all three. If you don't find it using Yast2 or rpm,
come back and I'll look for details in my installation.

HTH
Koczian