VHHL :( was Re: Python future performance and speed)

Francesco Bochicchio bockman at virgilio.it
Sun Aug 22 12:06:57 EDT 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:20:42 -0400, Peter Hansen wrote:

> * I limit this to scripting languages since it's quite certain
> that the mainstream *has* accepted high level languages quite
> fully.  The last time I checked, Java and C++ (even C) were
> widely considered to be high level languages.  Has someone been
> raising the bar while I wasn't looking?

I heard sometime Python referred as a 'Very High Level Language', that is
a notch on the top of Java, and more than that on top of C++. I concur
with this definition, since  Python is for me closer to the developers
mind (and thus more distant from the machine) than any other language I
use (including Java, C++, C and ADA).
So, the bar has been raised, in a way:-).
And VHLLs will become more and more used as computer power grows and
becomes cheaper than developer time (it is already so in several
application areas).