Call for signatories for J2

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Thu Aug 26 13:52:30 EDT 2004

Paul Rubin wrote:
> I'm still not crazy about J2 but I like "per" much better
> than "using".
>
> I'm afraid that the clpy proposals, and the @pie syntax, both seem to
> me like "extreme programming", i.e. an approach of "if you see a
> reasonable looking approach to a problem, implement it without
> worrying too much, and re-do ('refactor') it afterwards if it turns
> out not to be the right thing.  But for new language syntax, whatever
> gets implemented, we are going to be stuck with.  There will be no
> refactoring possible.  It's imperative to get it right the first time.
> The Scheme community understood this idea and was extremely careful
> about adding new features to Scheme even when it was clear that the
> features were needed.  I think Scheme benefited as a result.

FWIW, I agree. On this level, the J2 proposal is an attempt to cram what
should have been a longer discussion into a short time frame. But that's
our fault as a community--this should've been done in April at the
latest.

I await the ultimate irony, that after all the furor, Guido may decide
to pull decorators out of 2.4 entirely during beta. ;)

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org