Call for signatories for J2

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 16:29:45 EDT 2004

Robert Brewer <fumanchu at amor.org> wrote:
> I await the ultimate irony, that after all the furor, Guido may decide
> to pull decorators out of 2.4 entirely during beta. ;)

I'd see nothing ironic about it.  After some experimentation, I think
I'd rather have no decorators than the @syntax blotch.

I think a keyword that's ALREADY a keyword has been almost ignored,
though people occasionally did mention it re decorators: 'as'.  I'd love
to see 'as' used as THE decorator keyword.  personally I'd prefer
'def as classmethod foo(...):'
followed by
'def foo(...) as classmethod:'
followed by
'as classmethod def foo(...):'
followed by
'as: classmethod
 def foo(...):'
but even the last one of these, the one I least prefer, seem to me to be
superior to all other suggestions I've seen (including J2 using 'per'
instead of 'as', which I'd expressed favourable opinions on earlier).

'as' is a keyword today, VASTLY underused currently in being relegated
to 'from ... import ... as' and 'import ... as' statements only.  Let's
get full mileage from it by making it the decorators keyword, J2 or
otherwise!  (( yeah the semantics are quite different -- so are those of
comma: short and unobtrusive pieces of either punctuation or keywords
DESERVE to get overloaded that way!!!-)  ))

Alex