cPickle and __getattr__

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sun Aug 29 20:30:48 EDT 2004

Chris Curvey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have this program
>
> class Company:
>    def __init__(self, revenues, costs):
>       self.revenues = revenues
>       self.costs = costs
>
>    def __getattr__(self, name):
>        if name == 'profits':
>            return self.revenues - self.costs
>
> c = Company(100, 75)
> print c.revenues
> print c.costs
> print c.profits
>
> import cPickle
> print cPickle.dumps(c)
>
> Everything works fine up until the last line.  If I remove the
> __getattr__ function, then everything works (except "print c.profits").
>  What is the cPickle class trying to get to that is causing my
> __getattr__ function to be called?

   Potentially lots of things.  But the problem isn't that cPickle is
calling __getattr__, exactly.  The problem is that your __getattr__
isn't properly signalling non-existent attributes.  You should raise
AttributeError instead of implicitly returning None for which there is
no attribute.  Adding "raise AttributeError(name)" to the end of the
definition unbreaks it enough to let pickle work.

   Jp