winnowing down the keyword list (WAS: Re: J2 paper 0.2.1)

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 19:07:04 EDT 2004

Robert Brewer <fumanchu <at> amor.org> writes:
> Any proposal to winnow down the list is eagerly accepted. :)

Yeah, so my understanding was that the point of leaving the keyword argument
unresolved was that we were trusting in Guido to choose a reasonable keyword.
I haven't vetoed any of the keywords that I don't like because I'm reasonably
confident that Guido won't choose any of these keywords.  (That and I am, like
many others here, burning out on decorator arguments...)

That being said, I think Robert has the right approach here -- if there are
any keywords you absolutely couldn't tolerate, point them out and if no one
objects, hopefully we can remove them from the list.  Then we can be left with
a few keywords that most of us believe are better than @, and then let Guido
make the final decision.

I guess my point here is that I don't think we need to narrow down the options
to only one choice (but there's certainly nothing wrong with narrowing down
the options if you have good reasons).

Steve