Python future performance and speed

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Aug 25 08:07:50 EDT 2004

Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
>> (2) The Python approach to OOP is very different -- looser -- than
>> that of C++ and has less support for data hiding. For example, one can
>> add an attribute to an object anywhere, which seems like a dubious
>> freedom to me.
>
> Seems like a damn useful freedom to me. But then I've worked with
> people who refused to take the obvious clean, efficent, clear design
> decision only because it violated some principle they were told about
> in some OOA&D class

Yeah, tell me about it.  We had a really smart young guy who grew up on
C++ and was convinced that C++ was the be-all and end-all of OOP.  He
told me flat out that Python was not an OOPL because it didn't have
private data.  Of course, he never actually tried Python, because he
"just couldn't get past the whole indenting thing".

Then he quit and took a higher paying job with a big financial company
maintaining legacy Fortran code.  Go figure.