Call for signatories for J2

Michael Sparks michaels at rd.bbc.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 06:21:36 EDT 2004

Richie Hindle wrote:
> [Michael]
>> Patch against current CVS including __future__
>> statements/declarations has now been created, tested and uploaded to
>> SourceForge. All tests pass.
>
> Nice one - well done for all your work on this.

You're very welcome. I'd encourage anyone who's interested in python's
advancement to do the same, to be honest. The codebase is one of the
cleanest I've encountered and fairly easy to get started with, and it's
been a pleasure to work on. This experience will certainly encourage me
to participate more in future. (Probably on my own time though!)

>> British Broadcasting Corporation, Research and Development
>
> Is my license fee paying for this?  If so, great!  8-)  Makes for a
> much better investment than Fame Academy.

Yep. (Well, as well as my own time at the weekend/evenings, but that's
common for open source :)

We have a (small) allocation in our time for "bright ideas" regarding
things that'll help the BBC in ways outside normal projects, and help
further tools etc we use. :-) I think I've probably used mine up for a
while now, but I think it's been worthwhile.

We use Python (amongst many other languages) in R&D for prototyping
ideas and I'm aware of various other parts of the BBC using python as
well, so by helping the python community we help ourselves and everyone
wins :) (Even if the patch is rejected it'll help resolve an argument!)

I couldn't *possibly* begin to comment on Fame Academy though, I might
say something I shouldn't ;-)

Best Regards,

Michael.
Michael.Sparks at rd.bbc.co.uk
British Broadcasting Corporation, Research and Development
Kingswood Warren, Surrey KT20 6NP

This message (and any attachments) may contain personal views
which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.