Why I love python.

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Sun Aug 15 20:30:54 EDT 2004

Nick Patavalis wrote:

> On 2004-08-13, kosh <kosh at aesaeion.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't want my cell phone to run python, java, ruby, c# etc etc. I
>> want it to just be a telephone and do that job well.
>>

> I understand. You want a nice analog cell-phone, with a large rotary
> dial, and very long cord. Sorry but resistors, capacitors, and diodes
> can only go that far. For everything else you need large clusters of
> transistors (integrated-ccircuits they are called by some) and a lot
> of them need (God forbid!) "software".

I just had the same discussion on Friday with some co-workers. However,
they didn't take *quite* the same idiotic point of view as you have.

What I want (and can't seem to find anymore) are mobile phones that fit
in the hand *comfortably*, have easy-to-use keypads (so the chance of
hitting the wrong key is minimal), good reception anywhere there's any
kind of signal, high battery life and usually good SMS support (i.e.
intelligent look-ahead dictionary).

I'm still using a Nokia 3210 because it meets most of my criteria, and
doesn't have extras that get in the way of using it as a mobile phone
(fortunately, I was able to get a new battery at a fairly low price). I
want to get a new phone, but all the ones currently available miss out
on the comfort and ease of use criteria, which to me are the two most
important.

I know plenty of people who have the same desires - a tool that does
it's job well, and doesn't try to do lots of additional jobs poorly.

Tim Delaney