Alternative decorator syntax decision

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Aug 19 15:54:29 EDT 2004

Paul McGuire wrote:

>I think special thanks are due to:
>- Anthony Baxter for his continuing efforts in this regard
>- Steven Bethard for some of the clearest thinking and writing on this topic
>- Michael Sparks for actually implementing one of the options

I'd definitely second these special thanks.

>I would propose a multivote survey: each poster gets 3 votes among the
>lettered choices on the Wiki page above.  You can use all 3 for a single
>option, or split them across 2 or 3 options if you are open to more than
>one.

This seems like a fairly reasonable way of at least getting an
estimation of concensus.  I'd also suggest that, if there's a large
number of votes distributed between minor variations on a theme (i.e.
they differ as to what character/keyword to use), that might be
considered as a sum.  If, for example, E1 and E2 are the second and
third most popular choices, with a total that's higher than that of the
most popular choice, it seems reasonable to me to consider them to be
the "winner" and to then discuss which character is preferred.  This is
hard to codify, however, as some of the numbered variants are
significantly different while others are only slightly different...

My votes:  J2   J2  E2

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International