Decorator syntax

Thu Aug 5 00:25:13 EDT 2004

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:38ednYT1NLz1P4zcRVn-uA at powergate.ca...
<snip>
> For the record, the @ syntax is despicable and horribly
> un-Pythonic, IMHO, and I really hope never to read code that
> uses it. :-(
>
> (And my preferred syntax was "def f() [classmethod]:", FWIW)

Agreed.  And I also like your preferred syntax - clear, readable, no
eye-jarring symbols.

The references to Java and C# as justification or rationale for using @
remind me of when I lived in Maine. When I complained about how bad the
drivers were, inevitably the response was "we're not as bad as the drivers
in Massachusetts!"

If this was some impulsive lurch forward to just pick something and proceed,
I think we are seeing another backtick in the making.

I fear that $, ^ and ~ are just around the corner.

-- Paul