Decorators: J2 and a relation to @

Shane Holloway (IEEE) shane.holloway at ieee.org
Tue Aug 24 18:55:46 EDT 2004

Decorators.  Yep, in your inbox again.  I'll be short about it.  But
first, I should put out a disclaimer: I'm not opposed to the pie-syntax.
  I'm just tired of writing my method names three times, and having the
important 'classmethod' below the function.

Now... on with it!

 From the example in Section II, part 3 of
http://www.aminus.org/rbre/python/pydec.html consider the following
decorated function.

     @using([
         funcattrs(author="Guido van Rossum"),
         memorize,
         synchronize,
         classmethod,
     ])
     def foo(cls, *args):
         pass

This looks an lot like the suite method proposed in J2 in the current
syntax of Python 2.4a2.  All that would need to be added is a "using"
decorator method.  I like the @ because it makes me take note that the
following is special in terms of code execution.[*]

What do you think?
-Shane Holloway

[*] I could actually see @ being used to introduce smalltalk/ruby-esk
block closures... but that's a totally different discussion for a much
different time.  <1.2-wink>