2 GB files

Elbert Lev elbertlev at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 22 23:39:45 EDT 2004

> Elbert: you might get a positive response if you rephrased your post.
>
> "Our corporation needs functionality ___. We would be happy to pay a
> contract consultant $n000 to come up with a solution that will work with a
> future trajectory of Python releases."
>

> David

David!

I appreciated your sarcasm very much.

I want to assure you that our corporation is perfectly able to hack
code not worse then others can. But reading the postings, which talk
about this issue I thought, that if this feature is "half" supported
and is widely requested, why not to explain why it is needed.

IMHO the most attractive feature of Python is not its syntax, but the
library and the size of distribution. In fact, straight from the box
8-9 MB distribution is sufficient to solve many everyday
programming/administration problems. This is good, but can be
improved. There are some needed pieces missing in standard
distribution and this is one of them. By the way I (almost) do not
care about the speed: it is reasonable right now, can be improved, by
proper data structure/algorithm selection and if one really needs
speed – C is available.

I suggest start discussing additions to the library. This will improve
the package and make it easier to administer.

> Or you could pray to the OSS gods.

All is about language acceptance.

In my daily programming activities there are several alternatives to
Python, f.e. Java or .NET with their comprehensive libraries of
classes (much richer then Python's). And what stops me from using it?
The size of the distributive! I understand that adding too much will
result in an increase of the size of distribution, but something has
to be done.