simple Thread question

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Aug 3 16:23:27 EDT 2004

Christopher T King wrote:

> The Python interpreter isn't too thread-friendly.  Because it's not
> re-entrant, it has to make use of a Global Interpreter Lock in order to
> keep internal structures from getting mangled.  ....

Notwithstanding the rest of your answer, Christopher, I have to
say that in my opinion, the Python interpreter is *very*
thread-friendly.  Obviously this just depends on differing
ideas of what it means to be "friendly" to threads, but I find
Python to be the most reliable and easiest to use environment
for multi-threaded applications that I've ever used.  I know
what you meant by this, but if nothing else the criticism doesn't
serve to promote Python very well...

The world would probably be a much better place if most of its
multi-threaded applications were rewritten in Python.

(And it would be better still if some of them were then
re-designed to use Twisted, but that's another story. ;-)

-Peter