@decorator syntax is sugar, but for what exactly? (decorator libraries).

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Aug 8 09:32:21 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter <anthonybaxter at gmail.com> wrote:
> The "Python of 1.5.2 simplicitly" is long, long gone. I don't agree that
> newer Python's are somehow worse because new things have been
> added. A short list:
>
>   new style classes
>   foo(*arg, **kwarg)
>   iterators
>   generators
>   list comprehensions

Perhaps I'm just a luddite, but I don't actually use most of those
features.  I have started playing around with iterators/generators, and
find them very cool.

The single biggest improvement I see in the language since 1.5.2 is
string methods!  After that, maybe augmented assignments (or whatever
you call them; the ability to write "x += 1").

Most of the big improvements I've seen are in the library.  When did
unitest get added?  I can't live without unittest.  I like the logging
module, even if I think it's about twice as complicated as it should be.

A lot of my own personal growth in how I use the language is discovering
modules which, while not new to the language, are new to me because I'd
never noticed them before.

Speaking of libraries, Dan Bishop posted some interesting example of
@memoize and @printreturns utility wrappers.  This leads me to think
that a good way to leverage the idea of decorators would be a module of
common utility functions which could be used as decorators by anybody.
I'll call the module martha (since it supplies things used for
decorating).  Does the proposed mechanism support something like (to use
one of Dan's exmaples, written with two different syntaxen):

import martha

@martha.memoize
def fibonacci(n):
   if n in (0, 1):
      return n
   return fibonacci(n - 1) + fibonacci(n - 2)

def fibonacci(n):
   @martha.memoize
   if n in (0, 1):
      return n
   return fibonacci(n - 1) + fibonacci(n - 2)

Some of these things might even be usefully re-written in C for improved
performance.

I'm even wondering if somehow decorators could be used for i18n?  The
obvious problem there, is print is a statement not a function, and you
can't decorate statements (or can you???).