Find out the file name of a module from inside the module?

Andreas Neudecker a.neudecker at uni-bonn.de
Mon Aug 9 11:49:17 EDT 2004

Hi Michael,

sorry for making your head spin ;-)
I think, Christian's answer is exactly what I was looking for: Just cut
out the following code snippets and put them in files called program.py
and module.py, respectively. Run program.py and you will see ... ;-)

Thanks to both of you, Michael, Christian.

Kind regards

Andreas

program.py:
8<------------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
import os

# Check if running as program
if __name__ == '__main__':
	print "I was run as a PROGRAM and my path is \n\n\t'%s'\n" %
os.path.abspath (sys.argv[0])
	print "Now, I will call the module 'module' ..."
	import module
	print "Let's see, what 'module' says about itself, calling
'module.whoami()':\n\n"
	module.whoami()

else:
	print "Hey, I was not run as a program. What's on?"

# EOF
-------------------------------------------------------------------------#

module.py
8<------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Module 'module.py'

try:
     THIS_FILE = __file__
except NameError:
	 print "I guess I was not called as a module. That's strange."

def whoami ():
	print "I was called as a MODULE and my path is  \n\n\t'%s'\n" % THIS_FILE

# EOF