Compiling disutil modules on Windows

Geoff Caplan geoff at variosoft.com
Sat Aug 7 17:18:55 EDT 2004

Michel,

MCamgntefp> Look the message "Building Python 2.4 extensions with the Microsoft Toolkit
MCamgntefp> Compiler" from 17 jul 2004

Thanks for the link, but I don't think it's a viable solution for me.

First, it seems to be aimed at the official Alpha release of 2.4 which
is compiled with the MVC++ 7. I need to get something working with the
stable Active State distro, which is compiled with MVC++ 6.

Also, Mike says it's aimed at experienced extension developers with
experience of C compilers, and that "It is not really targeted at
end-users." He also says: "Note that this document represents the
findings of a very limited set of tests with what is essentially an
unsupported approach to building extensions.  You should expect to
find bugs.  No warranty is made that the approach outlined is safe or
appropriate."

I think that this approach would be well beyond my level of
competence!

What is the best way for an end-user with minimal C skills to get
extensions working on Windows? I would abandon the Active State distro
if I had to, but only reluctantly, as in other respects it seems very
convenient.