Fate of lambda, Functional Programming in Python...

510046470588-0001 at t-online.de 510046470588-0001 at t-online.de
Sat Aug 21 03:54:49 EDT 2004

Marek Baczyński <imbaczek-nospam at poczta.fm.cut-from-here.no-spam.info> writes:

> [lambda x, y: x+y, lambda x, y: x*y, ... (etc.)]
>
> I don't say it's impossible, but largely superfluous. (Note that this
> *particular* case can be (better) solved by operator.*.)

i find infix notation disgusting, thus refuse to use it globally.

may map, filter, reduce be implemented in pure python if they
weren't built-in? scheme e.g. does not have built-in filter,
but may implement it on the fly.

may lambda be implemented with exec if it isn't built-in?
i've seen something like this done in php4 by E. Ellingsen.
would that work in crippled python, too?

Klaus Schilling