How does a "script" differ from a "program" or "subroutine"?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Aug 24 08:48:58 EDT 2004

Porky Pig Jr wrote:

> Phil Frost <indigo at bitglue.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.2253.1093310132.5135.python-list at python.org>...
>>A script is just a program, but has the implication that it's a simple
>>program for a simple task.
>>
> I think the major implication is not that it's simple but it's written
> in some 'interpreted' (rather than compiled) language. so we say
> Python or Perl or Bash script, but not 'C script'. Look at the job
> openings: you'll often see something like this: 'knowledge of
> scripting languages (such as Perl and/or Python)'.

Before this explodes into another long thread, please check the
archives for this newsgroup if you have any interest in this
topic.  It has been discussed at length, and both Phil's and
Porky Pig's responses have been posted before, along with
others (which I have a feeling we're about to see yet again
from other people in spite of this post... ;-).

-Peter