age of Python programmers

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Aug 21 15:18:42 EDT 2004

Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I'm 46, started programming in 74 in BASIC (dunno what machine,
> it was located at the local university and we downloaded the
> programs from a teletype over a modem(120 baud) and got back
> printouts 3 days later...)

Basic in 1974 sounds just like where I got started.  We had a teletype
too (the modem was 110 baud, BTW, not 120), but we were connected to
another regional high school's time sharing system (an HP-3000, IIRC),
so we got our stuff immediately.  Oh, oh, oh, oh, stayin' on-line,
stayin' on-line!

Since then, I've done Fortran, lisp, a few different flavors of
assembler, C, C++, Java, HyperCard/SuperCard, TCL, Perl, Postscript
(yes, it's a real programming language) and of course Python.  Oh, and
NewtonTalk.  How could I forget NewtonTalk :-)  And a few different HP
calculator languages.