Going the PL/1 way

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Sat Aug 7 22:03:21 EDT 2004

    Jarek> Most of features that made into Python after 2.1 are "just
    Jarek> that", like "nobody has it, so we should" or "somebody has
    Jarek> it, so we would too". The only thing I welcomed in 2.3 was
    Jarek> some interpreter speedup, not new features.

No way, Python 2.2 was the best thing to happen to Python so far.

    Jarek> Come on, guys, fix real problems like interpreter thread
    Jarek> safety, improve performance, don't make us, "real-world
    Jarek> software developers", screaming with every new release,
    Jarek> please.

I guess this depends on the developer. I can't help lovin' stuff like
genexps that are coming in 2.4, while I would harly notice GIL
extermination. It's something that looks important on paper and will
surely help advocacy efforts, but probably wouldn't have significant
impact on the day-to-day lives of the developers. In the meantime, I
don't mind the efforts to shorten that already small gap between the
algorithm in my brain and what's on the editor screen.

I guess this is my feeble attempt to thank the core Python developers
that get all too much flak considering the good job they do. That's
probably how open source works when people care deeply about the
project :-).

Then again, it's 5am in Finland and I'm still moderately drunk.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb