My only complaint about Python

Istvan Albert ialbert at mailblocks.com
Thu Aug 19 12:31:06 EDT 2004

Darren Dale wrote:

> I love the language. I love the community. My only complaint is that
> Python for Windows is built with Visual Studio.
>
> It is too difficult to build python, or a module, from source.

In all fairness this is more the problem with Microsoft than
python. If they had a free fully-featured compiler then Python
would be compiled with that.

Microsoft seems to have made some half-hearted attempt in
this direction so that is promising.

I know that there are other compilers for windows but their
market penetration is far less and thus expertise to use them
is hard to come by.

I myself am in a very similar position, have a hard time
deploying extension modules on windows. My usual workaround
is to have a second python available via cygwin where I can
compile everything then then use remote procedural calls
via XMPRPC to connect from the windows python. Clearly
this will work only in certain cases.

Istvan.