Call for Grant Proposals

Maurice Ling mauriceling at acm.org
Tue Aug 3 19:44:15 EDT 2004

Thanks for the reminder that it will stay in mail folders for a "LOOONG"
time. I think I need to apologize for it.

The fact here is that the wordings of the call for proposal is not
concise and instead on looking at the wordings clearly and suggesting
better wordings, everyone seems to be only interested in attacking the
open source vs. closed source of the problem, which might just be a
minor problem here. If only open sourced projects are logically funded,
then by changing the words, "The Python Software Foundation is seeking
grant proposals for projects related to the further development of
Python, Python-related technology, and educational resources." to "The
Python Software Foundation is seeking grant proposals for projects
related to the further open-sourced development of Python,
Python-related technology, and educational resources." will solve the
problem.

The crucial issues here are in my other questions that everyone
convienently forgot, such as, what constitutes complete failure or
partial failure of the project? Is not delivering a single deliverable
account for complete failure? And what are the penalties?

I can't imagine that if you had been granted a grant for an open sourced
development in python and was not told way in advanced that a delay in
delivering a deliverable will result in you being forfeited the rest of
the grant money and will have to pay back 150% of all the money you had
received from the grant, until you had accepted the grant and working on
the project?

There are more important issues here to solve than an argument between
open and close source development.

Maurice