Pyhton Interpreter Startup time

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Fri Aug 13 10:14:16 EDT 2004

Neil Benn wrote:
> Brian Quinlan wrote:
>

>> Neil, are you using Norton Antivirus with autoprotect enabled? I've
>> seen that cause problems in the past because NAV scans every file as
>> it is opened and Python loads a lot of file on startup.

>          Good guess but no cigar!!!

Some other suggestions:

1. try running Python with the -v option is seeing if there is any
    obvious pause between imports, any imports of uncompiled modules or
    any importing of seemingly unnecessary modules

2. check your sys.path for references to potentially slow file systems
    e.g. network drives

What version of Python are you using?

Cheers,
Brian