allowing braces around suites

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Mon Aug 30 03:20:14 EDT 2004

Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho at yksi.ifi.uio.no> writes:

> "pass" is a no-op,

Can't aruge with that.

> and should only be used when a suite is required, but the suite
> should do nothing.

I'll have to take your word for it, that this is THE WAY. Oh, wait a
minute ... I don't take people's word for it, and I don't subscribe to
programming dogmas, partuclarly when they get in the way of getting
something useful done. Never mind, then.

> you're proposing a convention saying
>
>    ''if "pass" appears in a suite which also contains other
>      expressions, the "pass" signals the end of the suite''

You had a problem with indent-region in Emacs not doing the right
thing. Your proposed solution is to try to modify the language, in a
way which is guaranteed not to be accepted. I proposed a solution
which (while not one which overwhelms me with its beauty) works today
... to solve the problem _you_ had.

I'm not presupposing any convention, I'm observing the current state
of the world and finding a working solution in it. You are tilting at
windmills.

> that's a hack,

And like so many hacks, IT WORKS.

> and IMHO not worthy of a Python program.

Whereas braces are worthy of a Python program.