Python secure?

Reid Nichol rnichol_rrc at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 23:03:27 EDT 2004

Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
> news:NIydnd-skK0q173cRVn-ow at powergate.ca...
>
>>Reid Nichol wrote:

>>>But this doesn't make C an insecure language.  No language is either
>>>secure nor insecure.  It's what the programer does with it that
>
> matters.
>
> Yes, and in a later sentence, I said something about smarter programmers
> and code check policies.  Indeed, by the mid-1980s, I knew that giving
> control of copying to the block copied, by copying until the block
> contained a null byte, could be dangerous.  But somewhere around 2000,
> Microsoft shipped product that did exactly that with data taken off the
> Internet.
And because some M$ employee did something sloppy it is an implication
that C is bad.  Hell, even strncpy can be dangerous.  How many times do
I have to say the responsibility is the programmers, *not* the language.

And what language is Python programmed in... oh yah, C.  Perhaps people
shouldn't talk about how poorly secure C and then go off to how secure
Python is when Python is written in C.  Houses built on sand...

> Especially if a programmer is rewarded for faster code -- which one write
> by copying dangerously -- and pushing the hidden costs off onto customers.
If a programmer wanted to finish a program quickly then then shouldn't
use C.  If the programmer is required to use C then (s)he is working for
a bad company that knows nothing of such things and would have produced
poor software from the beginning because of such silly things.