CamelCase versus wide_names (Prothon)

Jan Dries jan.dries at dcube-resource.be
Thu Apr 15 16:31:53 EDT 2004

Mark Hahn wrote:

> Then I came here and asked and to my surprise I'm finding out that 100% of
> python users want camelCase.  This kind of blows away my argument against
> it.  So camelCase it will be.

In all fairness, you are finding out that 6 of the 8 first people to
respond to your post prefer CamelCase. The other two didn't voice a
clear opinion in either direction. While I'm sure that might be
indicative of some trend, it certainly does not mean 100% of Python
users want camelCase.

I for one go with AM Kuchling, and prefer wide_names.

When I started programming, I was using C (this was back in the 80's and
early 90's) and I used to code all in wide_names. I was quite happy with
it. Then I started writing C++ on Windows, and I gradually started using
CamelCase and lpszqvwxHungarianNotation, primarily because MFC was using
it. When Java came out, I followed its camelCase practice as well.
But it wasn't until I moved to Python in 2000 that I realised how much I
really prefer wide_names. Contrary to what others have written here, I
find wide_names much more readable than camelCase.

In practice though, I tend to go for whatever convention is customary in
the environment I work in. And I have long given up the illusion you can
be 100% consistent in these matters. That's why I rarely get involved in
discussions like these. But when someone claims 100% of Python users
want camelCase, I cannot but speak up.

Regards,
Jan