[wxPython] how to automatically resize a window?

Curzio Basso curzio.basso at unibas.ch
Wed Apr 21 07:23:22 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I have a problem for which I wasn't able to find an answer anywhere
else, maybe someone can give me a hint...

I designed with XRCed a small GUI (the code is at the bottom of the
message) made up of a menu and a frame in which there are two panels,
placed by an horizontal sizer.

Now, what I would like to do is to be able to load an image and display
it on the left panel, automatically resizing the panel depending on the
image size (the code is at the end again). There are actually two problems:

1) if I load an image the panel is not resized automatically

2) if I resize the panel manually after having loaded the image, the DC
is not repainted. that is, the portion of the image which was invisible
is not painted

Is there anyone with a bit of time to explain me how to solve these
problems?

thanks, qrz

------------------ XRC ----------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<resource>
   <object class="wxFrame" name="MAIN">
     <title>test</title>
     <object class="wxBoxSizer">
       <orient>wxHORIZONTAL</orient>
       <object class="sizeritem">
         <object class="wxPanel" name="IMAGE">
           <size>100,100</size>
         </object>
         <border>5</border>
       </object>
       <object class="sizeritem">
         <object class="wxPanel" name="CONTROLS">
           <size>100,100</size>
         </object>
         <border>5</border>
       </object>
     </object>
   </object>
   <object class="wxMenuBar" name="MENU">
     <object class="wxMenu" name="MENU_FILE">
       <label>File</label>
       <object class="wxMenuItem" name="MENU_FILE_OPEN">
         <label>Open</label>
       </object>
     </object>
   </object>
</resource>

---------------- PYTHON -----------------------------

from wxPython.wx import *
from wxPython.xrc import *
import Image

def pilToWx(pil):
     image = wxEmptyImage(pil.size[0], pil.size[1])
     image.SetData(pil.convert('RGB').tostring())
     return image

class MyApp(wxApp):

     def OnInit(self):
         self.res = wxXmlResource("test.xrc")
         self.InitFrame()
         self.InitMenu()
         self.InitEverythingElse()
         self.image = None
         return True

     def InitFrame(self):
         self.frame = self.res.LoadFrame(None, "MAIN")
         self.ipanel = XRCCTRL(self.frame, "IMAGE")
         EVT_PAINT(self.ipanel, self.OnPaint)
         self.cpanel = XRCCTRL(self.frame, "CONTROLS")

     def InitMenu(self):
         self.menuBar = self.res.LoadMenuBar("MENU")
         EVT_MENU(self.frame, XRCID("MENU_FILE_OPEN"), self.Open)
         self.frame.SetMenuBar(self.menuBar)

     def InitEverythingElse(self):
         self.sizer = self.frame.GetSizer()
         self.frame.SetAutoLayout(True)
         self.sizer.Fit(self.frame)
         self.sizer.SetSizeHints(self.frame)
         self.frame.Show(1)
         self.SetTopWindow(self.frame)

     def Open(self, evt):
         fd = wxFileDialog(self.frame, "Open image", "", "", \
                              "PNG image (*.png)|*.png|JPEG image
(*.jpg)|*.jpg", \
                              wxOPEN)
         if fd.ShowModal() == wxID_OK:
            im = Image.open(fd.GetPath())
            self.image = pilToWx(im)
            self.ipanel.SetSize(im.size)
            self.ipanel.Refresh(True)
         fd.Destroy()

     def OnPaint(self, evt):
         if self.image:
             dc = wxPaintDC(self.ipanel)
             dc.DrawBitmap(self.image.ConvertToBitmap(), 0,0)

def main():
     app = MyApp(0)
     app.MainLoop()

if __name__ == '__main__':