Python is the best and most popular general purpose scripting language; the universal scripting language

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Apr 10 18:28:22 EDT 2004

rstephens at vectron.com (Ron Stephens) wrote:
> Python is the best and most popular general purpose scripting
> language.

Which raises the question, exactly what makes something a "scripting"
langauge?  When I tell people I do Python, they often say something
like, "that's a scripting language, right?".  My usual response is
something along the lines of "Well, I suppose that depends on who you
ask" and I'm not sure what to say after that.

So, what makes something a "scripting language" as opposed to a
"programming language"?