Why we will use obj$func() often

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Tue Apr 27 16:13:25 EDT 2004

Greg Ewing wrote:

> On the other hand, replacing it with a keyword such
> as "outer" would make it highly suggestive, to the
> point where I'd wager most people wouldn't have to
> look it up at all.

What do you mean by keyword?  Which do you mean?

1) outer x      # x is declared to come from outer scope

2) outer.x      # outer is prefix replacing &

Form 1 is very non-P*thonic.  I was happy to get rid of the global keyword
and I'd hate to see this one show up.

Form 2 would cause more confusion than &var because the reader would just
think it was a local variable and not even think to look it up.  At least
the &var would signal that something unusual was happening.

Is there a third usage you mean that I'm missing?