Does Python compete with Java?

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Thu Apr 15 18:53:45 EDT 2004

I understand what you are trying to get at. In my mind, the
"competition" between languages had existed since the 1st day I wrote
Hello World in QBasic. Maybe there are two types of computer guys in
this world, those that learn the minimal and those that learn as much as
possible. I think I belong to the latter group even though I'm a
molecular biologist/bioinformaticist by trainings. Simplicity in syntax
is Python's strength to cater for the former group. Another thing that
can be done is to improve the libraries. In this world of 3000
programming languages, what makes Python worth learning?

Personally, I do wish to see that Python AND Java becomes mainstream,
although the latter has. A "marketing" strength which wasn't quite
tapped into is universities. If Python is taught in universities, then
it isn't tough to become mainstream. That's how mysql got so popular, or
at least I think that's how. Python enforces good programming
techniques, such as, readability. Yet, themes as such are taught in C,
perhaps one of the most unreadable language. Trying to debug a badly
indented C program is a horror, not to mention people do write a
recursive function in a single line!!

Maurice