using a USB HID device

Samuel Schulenburg samschul at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 18 14:47:33 EDT 2004

wouter at voti.nl (Wouter van Ooijen (www.voti.nl)) wrote in message news:<40827ce3.1151345337 at news.xs4all.nl>...
> I want to use Python to interface with an USB HID device (not a
> keyboard or mouse, just something that uses the HID driver to avoid
> the need for a specific driver). Is this possible in pure Python on
> Windows, or even better, in a portable way?
>
> Wouter van Ooijen

> http://www.voti.nl
> PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

I have developed routines for Windows that address mass storage
devices using the Windows SCSIPASSTHROUGH layer. I found that USB
devices do not use this layer, and as a result I am also investigating
using python to access USB devices. So far it looks like a seperate
driver along with a interfaceing DLL will needed.

Sam Schulenburg