Goodbye TCL

Leif B. Kristensen junkmail at solumslekt.org
Fri Apr 23 19:02:16 EDT 2004

Donal K. Fellows wrote:

> Cameron Laird wrote:
> I had a quick look into general DB APIs in the past, and the response
> I got from the DB community at the time was "but this doesn't support
> this *vital* feature only implemented in one DB that 0.01% of users
> really need and therefore we could never ever use your proposal for a
> standard
> API".  It's kind of discouraging.
>
> FWIW, I think some mostly-common subset of functionality is possible
> (if we assume SQL underneath; without that, you can't get anywhere)
> and it would be enough to get most of the low-end and casual users
> total satisfaction.

That's exactly the philosophy behind MySQL <g>

Seriously, I think that any db frontend should start with the most
simplistic approach possible. The niceties are way beyond most users
anyway. This approach should also help getting most interfaces across
the doorstep too, - as this is the most difficult distance.

regards,
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen
http://solumslekt.org/