CamelCase versus wide_names (Prothon)

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Fri Apr 16 21:21:28 EDT 2004

"Jack Diederich" <jack at performancedrivers.com> wrote...

> Mixed case works fine on two word variables because twoWords are as easy
> to read as two_words.  But it gets painful forLongerVariableNames.
> I'm a big fan of descriptive names and since mixed case seems to
discourage them
> when N > 2 that is enough reason to dislike it.

Don't forget that I'm only talking about the built-in names like hasAttr,
rowCount, Etc.  These are all pretty short and fairly non-descriptive.  We
aren't the naming police who are going to force people to use one naming
convention for all the module code they write.  I can't think of many
built-ins longer than two words, so you are pretty much agreeing with using
camelCase here.