CamelCase versus wide_names (Prothon)

Heather Coppersmith me at privacy.net
Thu Apr 15 21:51:31 EDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:32:30 -0400,
François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Given full power and choice, what I would prefer is that
> identifiers be allowed to contain spaces -- would they have to
> be unbreakable spaces ...

Underscores are the next best thing, depending on your font.  I
remember the Good Old Days of ASCII terminals, when underscores
were *below* the baseline and not on it (especially effective on
those old upper-case-only ADM 3's...).

I also like Lisp's (mostly) whitespace delimited identifiers, not
so much for char< and remove-extra-['s, but for big-enough-p and
parse-integer, not to mention *global-variable* and :keyword.

Back on topic:  I find mixedCase and CamelCase tolerable for short
identifiers (e.g., biggestInt and LoggingMixin), but intolerable
for longer identifiers (e.g., mostRecentMonthWithActivity).

Regards,
Heather

--
Heather Coppersmith
That's not right; that's not even wrong. -- Wolfgang Pauli