Indent testers needed (Prothon)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Apr 2 23:12:26 EST 2004

Mark Hahn wrote:

> We're  proud to say that Prothon has grown out of the indent space/tab flame
> war stage and has moved on to more serious discussions.
>
> We've decided to allow space-based indents and tab-based indents but not in
> the same file.

I've (thankfully) missed all the Prothon-related wars about indentation,
clearly, but I have to ask, isn't this "solution" rather ill-conceived
still?

What about copy-and-paste from one file (which was done with spaces)
to another which is using tabs?  Kind of puts a crimp in one's style
there, I would think...

Just a thought.

I heard a rumour Python is heading for "no tabs", period.  Why not just
simplify everyone's life and do the same for Prothon, and leave the
whole darned issue in the past.  In a year no one will be complaining
about their beloved tabs anyway...

(Oooh... won't that get another flame war started? :-)  I think I'll
skip it... I just wanted to make the first point.  And should probably
have stopped there.)

-Peter