Why '==' ??

Andres Rosado-Sepulveda arosado at softhome.net
Fri Apr 2 22:27:55 EST 2004

Fuzzyman wrote:
[snip]

> Actually I think python is fine - just pointing out a couple of
> features of syntax that seemed unnecessary.
>
> In actual fact I accept the explanation for '==' it was a 'feature' of
> language that I didn't realise existed.
>
> (Like
> a = value or default
> which I discovered recently... very useful in certain circumstances).
>
> Having said that I *Still* think that :
>
> if a = 3:
> is unambiguous - so there's no real reason that the interpreter should
> wag it's finger and say ... "you forgot to put in one of the '=' and I
> refuse to continue until you do" :-)

The main factor, IIRC, was not that the interpreter couldn't get the
meaning by context, as you propose, but of readability.

--
Andres Rosado
Email: andresr at despammed.com
Homepage: http://andres980.tripod.com/

It's a good thing we have gravity or else when birds died they'd just
stay right up there.  Hunters would be all confused.
         -- Stephen Wright