Difficulty Finding Python Developers

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Apr 15 21:27:09 EDT 2004

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> Yes, the point is you never know when you're going to need to use it,
> and having a deadline breathing down your neck isn't the right time to
> learn about it.  Especially in a startup company, there are just too
> many situations where the fate of the whole company depends on your
> making something work RIGHT NOW, sometimes even with an investor or
> customer looking over your shoulder.

OK, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

My assertion was that you can learn enough to do useful work in a
weekend.  You're saying that there are situations where you need to know
more.  These are not mutually exclusive statements.

You also pointed out that the standard Python library doesn't cover
every possible piece of functionality that everybody might ever need.
This is obviously a true statement, but it's equally true for Perl,
Java, TCL, C, C++, Ruby, Smalltalk, etc.  And it's a good thing, too.
If everything that everybody ever wanted had already been written, you
and me would be out of a job :-)