[Newbie Q on String & List Manipulation]

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Fri Apr 16 02:23:38 EDT 2004

In article <567a7c35.0404152154.1645e79d at posting.google.com>,
 matthew at coredumps.net (Matthew) wrote:

>     finally, i found a way to make to a+=b works,
>     but, i don't understand why it works... ;(

I was seeing a lot of newline (^M) characters at the ends of the strings
you posted.  When you concatenate them together then output them, the ^M
may cause the lines to overwrite each other causing you to think you're
only seeing the last one.  But repr turns these characters into a
sequence of two characters, backslash followed by r.  Is this your
problem?  If so, maybe you want to call strip() on your strings before
concatenating or joining them?

--
David Eppstein                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/